If you’re a boat owner in Oak Ridge, NC it’s important to have boat insurance. But what kind of policy should you get? There are several different types of boat insurance, each offering different protection. Consult with Oak Ridge Insurance Services for expert insurance advice.
Here are the different types of boat insurance that you can choose from:
1. Liability Insurance
Liability insurance is the most common type of boat insurance. It protects you from financial damages if you’re held responsible for an accident.
For example, let’s say you’re out on your boat and accidentally collide with another vessel. If the other boat sustains damage or someone is injured, liability insurance will help pay for the repairs or medical bills. Liability insurance also covers you if you damage someone else’s property with your boat.
2. Collision and Comprehensive Insurance
Collision and comprehensive insurance is similar to the coverage you have on your car. It covers damage to your boat caused by things like accidents, storms, fire, theft, or vandalism.
Comprehensive insurance also covers you if your boat is damaged while in storage. This type of coverage is not required by law, but it’s a good idea if you want to protect your investment.
3. Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage
This coverage protects you when you get into an accident with a driver who lacks sufficient insurance to cover the damages. For example, let’s say you’re in a boat accident that wasn’t your fault, but the other driver only has liability insurance. If the damage to your boat exceeds the other driver’s policy limit, you could be stuck with a huge bill. However, if you have this coverage from Oak Ridge Insurance Services, your insurance will help pay for the damages.
Give Us A Call
There are several different types of boat insurance, each offering different protection. Be sure to talk to your Oak Ridge Insurance Services agent in Oak Ridge, NC about which type of policy is right for you.
Buying that boat was a lifelong dream come true! Before you set sail, you will need to bring along more than sunscreen for a day on the water. There is much more to boating than climbing aboard.
The knowledgeable and helpful agents at Oak Ridge Insurance Services want to share some important must-know tips about boat insurance. Here are 4 boat insurance must-know tips before a day on the water.
- Get boat insurance before you hit the water. You will need to know the size, type value of the boat for your agent to determine what type of insurance and how much you will need. Some small boats may be covered under a homeowner’s policy. While large yachts or speed boats will need a separate policy.
- What does boat insurance cover for an Oak Ridge, NC boat owner? Boat insurance policies will pay the cost to replace a vessel less depreciation. A partial or total loss will be calculated differently. Policies typically cover theft, bodily injury, liability, medical, towing, trailer and accessories, and loss or theft of belongings.
- Safety First – Always follow best practices for boat safety. Watch your speed, watch the weather, and never drive while drinking too much alcohol.
- You May Qualify For A Discount – Always ask if there are discounts that you qualify for. For instance, if you have ship-to-shore radios or Coast Guard-approved fire extinguishers, you may qualify. If you are operating a diesel-powered boat, it is not as dangerous as a gasoline-powered one. If you have taken boating education classes or have years of experience you may have earned a discount as well.
Make sure you’re covered before you hit the water. Contact Oak Ridge Insurance Services serving Oak Ridge, NC before you set sail.
A boat safety plan in Oak Ridge, NC is only good if people know how to use it. If you have a watercraft, Oak Ridge Insurance Services has a few tips so that you can feel a little safer every time you take it off the shore.
Think About Who Will Need It
You have to consider who needs to know about your boat safety plan before deciding how to enforce it. If you bring friends out, they’re going to have very different needs than your 6-year old child. When it comes to your family, the best way to enforce an emergency drill is to have them go over it as many times as possible. People should know where life preservers are, how to call for help, and what to do in the case of an injury.
Map It Out
You can’t possibly account for every scenario, but you can think of the most common. For example, if another vessel hits you, what would be the most likely steps you’d need to take? How can you make it back to safety if you’re hit with an unexpected rainstorm? The more questions you answer beforehand, the easier it should be to handle unexpected twists and turns in Oak Ridge, NC.
Think About Your Boat Insurance Carrier
Some people are good in a crisis, and they expect that know-how to carry them through. But the water can be a much more dangerous place than people give it credit for. If you’re looking for the right partner who can help you prepare before the worst occurs, call Oak Ridge Insurance Services today. We can make it easier to develop the right plan and get better coverage at the same time.